10 quick vegetarian facts
1. Approximately one quarter of the world’s population enjoy a mostly vegetarian diet.
2. It is estimated that a lifelong vegetarian will save the lives of approximately 760 chickens, 5 cows, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, 46 turkeys and half a tonne of fish.
3. Many animals are vegetarians, including rhinos, elephants, giraffes, guinea pigs, rabbits, gorillas, hippos and goats.
4. Vegetarians do not eat fish!
5. Famous vegetarians include Albert Einstein, Pythagorus, Leonardo da vinci, Gandhi, Mary Shelley, Paul McCartney, Martina Navratilova, Natalie Portman, Tony Benn, Monty Panesar, Morrissey, Russell Brand and Stella McCartney.
6. A “westernised” diet containing meat requires up to 3 times as many resources as a vegetarian diet.
7. Vegetarians enjoy the lowest rates of obesity, coronary heart disease and high blood pressure.
8. The word “vegetarian” is derived from the Latin word “vegetus” meaning lively or vigorous.
9. Veggies are no more prone to iron deficiency than meat eaters! Even those who do eat meat get a high percentage of their iron from vegetarian sources.
10. Anyone eating dairy products and eggs will get plenty of vitamin B12 in their diet. Other good sources are fortified foods such as breakfast cereals, yeast extract and soya drinks.