Top 3 Homemade Organic Tomato Facial Masks
Have you ever wondered what tomatoes can do for your skin other than adding pizzazz to pizzas? Tomato offers many amazing beauty benefits that go beyond its distinctive red skin and appealing taste. It holds the secret to radiant youthful-looking complexion, thanks to the presence of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant.
One study reported volunteers who consumed 5 tablespoons (about 55 grams) lycopene-rich tomato paste daily for 3 months had a lower risk of sunburn. The team of researchers found significant improvements in the skin’s ability to protect itself against harmful ultraviolet rays in these individuals.
Lycopene, a carotenoid pigment which is also found in other red fruits – watermelon, pink guava, and pink grapefruit – is able to neutralize free radicals that can accelerate aging and protect the skin from photodamage (or sun damage). Excessive UV exposure will result in fine lines and wrinkles, discoloration and textural changes, and even skin cancer.
Another benefit of eating a lycopene-based diet is that it helps boost collagen production. Collagen is a protein that keeps skin strong, smooth and supple. Without enough amount of collagen to support structures of the skin, your face will begin to show signs of premature aging – dry, dull-looking, saggy and wrinkly.
That said, studies also show that lycopene is better absorbed by the body from cooked or processed tomatoes (for example, tomato sauce or tomato soup) than from raw tomatoes. And, because lycopene is fat-soluble, your body absorbs lycopene more readily if you add a little oil.
You can also benefit from lycopene by applying it directly to the skin. There is a wide range of lycopene-enriched skincare products in the market that you could purchase, but they don’t come cheap. The next best solution is make tomato face masks at home. These homemade tomato facials will help to minimize the appearance of creases and wrinkles, plump up the skin while restoring your complexion’s radiant glow.
How to Make Tomato Mask
Note: Always use organic tomatoes and select the redder ones as they contain more lycopene. Also, make sure you don’t have a tomato allergy.
Tomato Honey Home Facial
Nourishes and rejuvenates aging skin, or dry skin. Also help fade dark spots and blemishes naturally to reveal brighter and whiter skin.
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon organic tomato pulp, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon plain yogurt.
1. Wash your face with a mild facial cleanser. Make sure to remove all traces of makeup, dirt and grime.
2. In a small bowl, mix together all the above ingredients until well combined.
3. Apply tomato paste on your face and neck. Lie down and relax for about 20-30 minutes.
4. Wash off thoroughly with lukewarm water. Tone and slather on your favorite moisturizer.
Tomato Cucumber Face Mask
Soothes sunburned skin and reduces skin pigmentation caused by sun exposure. Also refreshes tired skin and add a healthy glow to your complexion.
Ingredients: ¼ peeled and seedless organic tomato, 3 teaspoons unflavored yogurt, 1 teaspoon peeled and grated cucumber, 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel and 3 teaspoons of finely ground oatmeal.
1. Place all ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix until well combined.
2. Spread tomato mixture on your face and leave on for about 10 minutes.
3. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Apply toner and moisturizer.
Tomato Sugar Facial and Scrub
Ingredients: 1 organic tomato and 1 teaspoon fine granulated sugar
Deep cleans pores and helps remove black heads. Also double up as a gentle face scrub, leaving your skin feeling soft and smooth.
1. Slice the top off tomato. Sprinkle sugar on a small plate, and dip tomato slice into it.
2. Use the sugar-coated tomato slice to gently exfoliate your face, in a circular motion. Pay extra attention to areas prone to blackheads – T zone (forehead, nose and chin).
3. Once your face is evenly covered with tomato scrub, relax for 10 minutes before rinsing it off completely with water.
4. Pat dry with a soft towel and follow up with an astringent and moisturizer.
Article excerpted from www.nichetopics.info
This is an interesting topic and I can’t wait to share with all of you after I read it. It is a good idea to make a handmade mask because it is cheap and easy to do. Try at your own risk because each different skin type will have different effects. Let us know if this this mask is useful to you.
Posted on September 27, 2011, in organic, Organic Life and tagged facial and scrub, facial mask, homemade, homemade mask, homemade organic, organic tomato, tomato facial mask, tomato mask. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.